Thursday 10 July 2014

What's The Bottom Line on Orange Is The New Black?



NO SPOILERS OF EPISODES ONLY DESCRIPTION OF MINOR/MAJOR CHARACTERS AND THERE CHARACTER JOB. NOTHING MAJOR FOR THE TV SHOW. 

Orange Is The New Black (2013)

Starring Taylor Schilling (The Lucky One) Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek Voyager) Laura Prepon (Karla) Michael Harney (Ocean's Thriteen) and Lorraine Toussaint (Dangerous Minds) only see Lorraine Toussaint in Season 2 and Laverne Cox (Musical Chairs). (Only did these actors because they are my favourite interesting characters in the seasons)

Writers: Piper Kerman (Skavian) and Jenji Kohan (Weeds). I could just do a huge blog on Jenji Kohan but if you look at her history you can clearly see where the humour and the writing came from.  


First Impressions Before Seeing The TV Show
Considering, from what I knew you could only watch this on Netflix. So, considering I rarely watch anything on Netflix I asked my friend should I watch Orange is the New Black. And, Shanaynay whom is one of the admins to That's The Bottom Line was like "WATCH IT WATCH IT, YOU MUST WATCH IT! IT'S AWESOME!" So, at first I was just like "Okay crazy". I didn't do any research I went straight in and watched it.

My First Episode....
OMG! AM HOOKED! This is why I love and hate Shanaynay she got me hooked on this thing in literally 4 minutes. I watched both seasons! in two days! that's how awesome and brilliantly written this piece of television. You have so many unique characters, I felt like I was watching Big Brother because your watching this drama slowly unfold and there was sudden bursts of HAHAHA and then suddenly "Oh...my....GOD!" moments literally in seconds!. The actors act there characters beautifully. Taylor Schilling plays Paige whom is the main character who we see unfold about her story not saying anything about why she goes to prison but her life is a drama before jail!. Then, Kate Mulgrew whom is my FAVOURITE I LOVE LOVE her in Star Trek Voyager in this she plays someone called "Red" and... not a spoiler you know straight away she is like the boss of the prison. Laura Prepon plays extraordinary as Alex .... but not saying anything about her character. Michael Harney is like a counsellor/security warden he is one of the ones I had to think....OKAY at first....Lorraine Toussaint character thou Vee (dunno if that's right) BUT I don't wanna say anything about her character but Lorraine Toussaint is a brilliant actor playing Vee. and Laverne Cox who plays Sophia. When I first saw Sophia, this is when I KNEW Orange is the New Black will be a unique television show. 


Once I Watched The Two Seasons

If you don't have Netflix, hopefully be on YouTube because this is a TV show to really sink your teeth into. Why? It's a unique television show. We have non-stereotypical lesbians of how television and films portray them. They aren't butch, they are what you expect when you are in the world. You have a male dressed as a female in prison, which is more today's society this TV show is open to new ideas and accepting of change. The comedy is brilliant, I have never laughed so hard at a TV show. The serious parts in the TV show makes my heart stop and wait till it's done then breath because this show really does take you to that edge!. I liked the fact, that with most of the prisoners they did there back story when I saw the first one I was like. Oh, that flowed very very well will it flow like the rest. And, you know what it did! I am not one for TV shows I get bored of them. BUT, two days of my life was spent watching this TV show and GOD DAMN it was worth it! There's nuns, crazy people, police officers, counsellors, russians, lesbians, religious folk, mexicans! I mean, this is what prisoners and social people are! And, that's one reason why I love this TV show because of the mixture of different kinds of people and how they live together in a prison coz they can't just walk through the front door.....maybe climb the wall! Plus, I have to say the opening sequence of all the episodes is so catchy! 



Was there too many characters in the TV Show so you lose trail of them?
Strangely enough no! All the characters I believe you see them in most of the episodes. For example, the picture above you see and hear the majority of these people in most of the episodes. Plus, knowing there back stories, there recent events and how they feel. So, I think that's why it's so easy to get into because it's simple and there's always something happening

So, WHAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE. 
IMDB rated this 8.5 and I rated 10/10. Here's why.... the comedy, the drama, the unique of all the characters, the storyline they flow and they make you want to watch it more. 
TIPS IF YOUR WATCHING THIS TV SHOW?
If something MAJOR has just happened at the end of the episode. Take a breather for 5 to 10 minutes then continue my friend suggested it. I didn't. And, there is a reason for that. 
My Ranking
As I said before 10/10, the animal said so. 



Here is the trailer for Season 1: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2447353881/
Here is the IMDB page on Orange is the New Black: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2372162/?ref_=nv_sr_1


No comments:

Post a Comment